Friday, April 24, 2009

End of March Doings

I can't believe that it is the end of April already, time flys when you are having fun!I had a busy month in March. 

I belong to the Unlimited Textiles group and the theme for March was Gothic. I love stained glass and especially the wonderful Rose Windows. Here is what the one in Strasbourg looks like. 

Hard to get that much detail in a 5" quiltie (Small quilts) but I did try, unsuccessfully. 

Then I started going through my stash  and found this great fabric, and put a black fabric mask on it to make the leading for the stained glass look and 
the quiltie turned out pretty good. I did some
 beading in the center and at the end of the spokes.


I was surprised that when  I chose smaller beads they got lost in the whole quiltie, but when I went up to a larger bead it looked so much better.

The other exchange I was in was the Fiber Beads trade and I had lots of fun with that. I decided to make my beads with a hard shell, rather than 
the  soft fabric outside. The one problem I had was trying to Photograph the beads so that the fabric itself showed. The darker beads are a beautiful batik of blues and greens and 
purples. The beads are too dark or shiny in any of the pictures to do  them justice.


















I wrapped some of them with Razzle Dazzle thread in different colors, and some I wrapped in Angelina fibers. I left the tails long on the beads so that the tails could be could be cut to any length she wanted. I also used some wire and some of the micro beads in the hard shell of the lighter colors. I didn't want to do a matched set of beads, so I did a variety of colors and styles.

I also got a lot of work done on that wedding quilt I keep talking about. My goal is to have it at the quilters by the end of April. I can't wait to post a picture of the completed top. As soon as I can get my card from my camera to work, I'll post some pictures of that I received in the exchange.

1 comment:

Val said...

Hi Meg - Thankyou again for the gorgeous quiltie - your pic. really doesn't do it justice, even though it is a lovely pic. the quiltie for real is even better and I love the orange and lemon beads alternating around the 'window'. Hope we swap again soon!
Thanks for dropping by my blog.